Sunday, November 6, 2011

November- A meditation of Thanks

I wanted to take this time to talk about this odd holiday. Native Americans oppose this holiday because it celebrates us taking over a land that we should not have conquered and yet we cannot change the past, so how should we celebrate this awkward holiday. My answer is to meditate on the whole of the holiday and not on why we have this specific day. We should remember why we are here.

A Meditation of Thanks!

Sit or lie comfortably with a warm blanket in case you get chilled

Take several, slow, deep breaths and slowly exhale.

You are completely safe where you are.

Think about the people who have made a positive difference in your life.

These are the people you have loved and cared about and are often with you in your thoughts.

As a name comes into your mind let them come into focus.

Once they are in focus think about the following questions:

Who is the first person you see?
What have they taught you?
What do you want to tell them you are thankful for?

Then say, "Thank you, Name, I am thank for you............... because..................... I wish you peace, love and light of the season.

Let them drift from your mind.

Breathe a few more times slowly and deeply.

Then who is the next person you think of and see?

Repeat this for all of the ones you love and care about.

Once you have thanked each person and let them leave your mind.

Say a prayer for all of those who gave their lives, so that you can have the life you live. Think about the wars and the battles and all the stories you have heard. Send healing thoughts and prayers to all of those who have crossed and to those who remain, but are not quite the same.

Once you have done this, Take several slow deep cleansing breaths and tell yourself thank you for being you. You are a very special person with wonderful gifts. each time you remember a person or a time you do so with loving kindness in your heart. You know that because of who you are each person in your life is thankful to have you there.

I am thankful for you, my readers. Without you these would just be words left to the Internet. I am thankful to my husband and my kids for giving me the time to write my meditations and I am thankful to all of my grandparents for helping me to become who I am and without whom I would not be here. I am thankful to my parents for understanding my spiritual path and to my siblings for their continued emotional support.

I am thankful to my ancestors for giving me such a varied heritage of a true "melting-pot".

I am thankful to all the Native Americans for not giving up their heritage and I am thankful to them for helping another group of people who they did not know, but through their own persecution knew that this group did not deserve the same fate. WWII might not have been won without you!!!

Thank you and may the Great Spirit bless everyone of you, a billion points of light! 

No comments:

Post a Comment